As summer approaches and we eagerly venture outdoors to enjoy nature's beauty, it's crucial to remember that along with the sunshine and fresh air, pesky insects come buzzing around, ready to disrupt our peaceful moments.
Here’s a simple recipe to make at home with clean ingredients that will last through the season. All of these items may be found at a health food store.
- 30 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops of eucalyptus essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (I like to use jojoba oil)
- 1 small spray bottle
1. Start by preparing a small spray bottle that can hold around 4 ounces (120 ml) of liquid.
2. In the spray bottle, combine the citronella, lavender, peppermint, and eucalyptus essential oils.
3. Add the carrier oil of your choice (jojoba oil) to the spray bottle. The carrier oil helps dilute the essential oils and ensures they are safely applied to the skin.
4. Close the spray bottle tightly and shake well to blend all the ingredients thoroughly.
5. Your clean insect repellent is now ready to use. Before each use, remember to shake the bottle to ensure the oils are evenly distributed.
6. Spray the repellent onto exposed skin, avoiding sensitive areas such as the eyes and mouth. You can also spray it on clothing or fabric, as long as it doesn't cause any staining.
7. Reapply the repellent every few hours or as needed, especially if you're spending an extended time outdoors or in areas with high insect activity.
This repellent is for human use only. This could be toxic to animals. Enjoy!!